Oct 1, 2007

Stage 2 in my New Life in New York

Today is another day for me. I have started to work as a Sous-Chef at The French Consulate. A few weeks ago, I noticed one job offer on The French Culinary Institute Community Site concerning a position of Sous-Chef. The text mentioned that candidate should hold a green card or US work permit which was not my case (I only hold a work permit for 90 days since I applied for an Optional Practical Training before finishing my school). Still, I decided to send my resume and cover letter just to try and to meet the Chef. For more than one month, I didn't hear any news from the Consulate and completely forgot about it. At the beginning of September, I received a voicemail to schedule an interview. So I went to meet the Chef at 934 Fifth Avenue. Apparently, the meeting went fine but the Chef once again mentioned that the Consulate wouldn't give any Visa and work permit. When coming back home, I remember telling me it was a pity since the job would have been interesting, including missions of personal chef (cook for the family for dinner) and caterer (cocktails and receptions at least twice a week). One week later, my wife and I had dinner in a little French restaurant where we were really starting to think of finally coming back to France for new adventures... Meanwhile, the Chef of the Consulate had left me a voicemail saying that he had talked to the Consul about me and that he might agree to provide the compulsory papers... What a sign of Fate or God!!! While we were seriously thinking of coming back, we received that sign. Push your luck and you will be rewarded...

So I met the Second in charge of the Consulate and did a trial for the family plus one extra for the 9/11 memorial cocktail (see previous post...). Everything went right and here I am for a three month trial.

Why me? I don't know but I think that the Chef was looking for somebody that would work as a teammate in the kitchen, willing to learn and stay humble...

Photos of "my" new kitchen...



No comments: