Jun 7, 2007

New recipe for a-much-easier-to-handle Pasta Dough

At The FCI, famous New Yorkers' grand chefs come several times a month for cooking demos. It is always good opportunities to get somes tips of them, or a good story about food. Today was Jacques Pepin, a very popular french grand chef, famous for his TV shows and numerous cooking books. Today. while doing a demo on pastry, one of his book was passing from seat to seat in the amphitheater. I spoted one recipe for a pasta dough used for Raviolis and Squash Filling. As I found the recipe I used to make (see former post on my new pasta machine) sometimes very sticky and difficult to manipulate on the machine, I wrote it down on my notebook and tried it right away this evening.
Great success ! Very easy to handle, I was able to make the thinest sheets ever made. So let me share the recipe with you :
  • 2 cup of flour
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water*
*amount of liquid may vary depending on the brand of the flour (if the flour doesn't incorporate entirely, add drops of water little by little...)
Jacques Pepin also gave us a good tip by using cornstach to handle the dough, instead of flour as usually. The cornstach doesn't incorporate to the prepared dough.
By the way, I experienced another combination of filling and could use easily my brand new Ravioli form ! A great day then for the science (of cooking) !!!


The filling
  • Green pepper, choped in small dices
  • Tomatoes skined and seeds removed, cut in small dices
  • Italian Salami (cut in chiffonade)
  • Reduced heavy cream
  • Nutmeg & pepper
  • Tarragon
  • Parmasan

No comments: