Mar 19, 2008

Unexpected Lunch : The Whole Process to the Menu


Carpaccio de boeuf,
tomates et mozzarella à l'huile de noix
৺৺৺৺৺
Magret de canard Moulard,
pêche braisée et semoule israélienne
৺৺৺৺৺
Crème basilic et sa brochette de fraises
*******************************
Beef, tomato and mozzarella carpaccio
with walnut vinaigrette
৺৺৺৺৺
Mullard breast duck, braised peach and Israel semolina
৺৺৺৺৺
Basil cream with a strawberry skewer

So here is the whole process ending to the choice of those dishes.

For the appetizer, I remembered we had some filet mignon frozen, some slices I used the day before to prepare carpaccio and goat cheese cannelloni* for one coming cocktail next Monday. It is so much easier when you can use a professional slicer like this one to have perfect tomato, mozzarella and beef slices. Just before serving, I brushed each slice with a walnut oil, lemon oil and Modena balsamic solution, added some walnuts and sprinkled Italian parsley.

For the entree, I used a duck breast (magret) from Mullard (moulard) race, the Chef bought from D'Artagnan, famous French supplier in New York. The moulard is a crossbreed used in the production of foie gras. First of all, I crisscrossed the skin and started to saute it in a cold frying pan on low-medium heat, for about 15 min. The skin should be golden brown, not more!. Then, 1-2 min on the flesh side. You should also often defat the pan from duck oil.

TIP : to start with a cold pan allows the skin to be served crispy.
TIP : save it in a container for further use, e.g. sauteed potatoes...
For the semolina. I used Israeli Couscous , medium-large sized grain that I cooked with blond raisins and dried apricot cut in small julienne. For the braising of the peach, I couldn't find Schnapps so I used Grand Marnier instead. I cooked a skinned-off peach in caramel, white wine and Grand Marnier (plus peppercorn, orange zest stripe and coriander seeds). I strained the liquid and added some brown veal stock and reduced it to nearly a glaze. Very complex sweet and sour taste for this sauce.

For the dessert, I choose a numerous-time-awarded and praised delicatessen amongst friends and family, the famous Crème basilic. I served it with a slowly-cooked (in red wine and sugar) strawberry skewer (I used a dried vanilla bean as a pick) and decorated with a crystallized basil leaf.

TIP : crystallized basil leaf : blanch the leaf in water for 30s., sprinkle icing sugar, put on a silpad and dry out in a 100°C/200°F oven until dry.

I didn't get any felicitation but I felt great when I noticed all plates for every dish went back clean and empty! The kind of hint that might mean the guests enjoyed the food!

*Carpaccio and goat cheese cannelloni

Out of the subject here but I can't resist to write the procedure : cut beef in 1-2 mm slices (freeze the meat so that the slices will be perfect) and put each slice on a work surface covered with plastic wrap. Each slice should be put side by side to form a stripe. Then with a piping bag filled with soften goat cheese (you can mix it with shallot, herbs, pepper, ...), pipe a long "worm" shape in the stripe alongside. Then roll tight with the plastic to form a "cannelloni" and freeze it. Once hard, you will be able to cut it in 0.5 cm log. We can use them on top of a crustini (crouton in French) seasoned with lemon oil for example....

No comments: