Jan 1, 2011

Cookies Gift Treat Bag for Christmas 2010

I recently spent my Christmas vacation in Ohio with Pam & Steve, originally from Findlay, Ohio. so many family guests were expected then I thought that baking my own cookies would make a versatile gift for any of them...from children to adults...
Five different kind of cookies composed my gift treat bag : Cannelés, Congolais, Palmiers, Diamants and Traou mad.


Cannelés
From Bordeaux, rum and vanilla, means fluted from the shape of the mould used for baking... Recipe here
Congolais
Coconut & sugar, literally "Inhabitant of Congo". I used the recipe from my Demarle choosing Flexipan book. Here is it...

Ingredients :
  • 340 g shredded coconut
  • 340 g sugar
  • 200 g eggs (around 4 eggs)
  • 20 g flour
  • 10 g butter
Procedure :
Mix all ingredients. Form small heaps and bake on a silpat backing sheet at 340 F. / 170 C. for 12/15 mn.
Note : the cookie will become moister after a couple of days
Palmiers
Puff pastry, literally "Palm tree" also known as elephant ears in English.
I used the procedure from that outstanding French website, http://chefsimon.com/palmier.htmtm


Diamants
Chocolate and cinnamon, literally "Diamond"
I used the recipe from the book Cuisinez Chocolat.

Ingredients :
  • 100 g butter pommade
  • 50 g icing sugar
  • 125 g flour
  • 15 g cocoa powder
  • 50 g sugar
  • 1 TBS cinnamon powder
Procedure :
Mix the first 4 ingredients. Form a 1/2 in. diameter log, roll in sugar+cinnamon and wrap in plastic paper. Rest in fridge for 30 mn.
Slice in 1/4 in. rolls and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 170 C./340 F. for 10 mn

Traou Mad
From Brittany, salted butter and fleur de sel, means "good thing" in Breton language.


No comments: